It’s been a long time coming,but the Model A Cowl lacing is done!

Posted by

After a long  period of prevarication and with some help I finally got around to getting the cowl windlacing sorted out, it’s one of the jobs that you always mean to get done but never do!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

As you can see the old stuff was either missing or in bad shape

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Removed the old windlacing and cleaned the edge of the cowl, including the removal of the wire tightening hook in the centre.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

After cutting the lacing into four correctly sized pieces, the top part of the lacing is secured by passing a wire through the centre and securing it at the bottom of the cowl on both sides. The wire is tensioned by the hook in the centre of the cowl. Along with the new lacing and wire, the hook was also replaced. Once the top part is in place the side lacing is prepared for fitting by creating the holes for the securing rivets. We used a bradawl and a drill bit. The rivets were then crimped with pliers. Once all was in place the hood was refitted.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.