Now Christmas is out of the way it was time to take a trip over to carry on with the strip down of the Model B engine.
The engine has been soaking for quite some time and unfortunately is still stuck, so we got to work looking for the source of the problem
Upon removing the main and big end caps things were starting to look quite promising, however as we got to the rear main….
We found that the babbit had broken up quite badly and as a result would have been very noisy in operation. The white metal has been done previously in a non Ford type manner but this doesn’t appear to be the cause of the failure. Either way the engine needs a complete re-metalling as there is also a cracked big end.
On the upside the counterbalanced crank appears to be in pretty good shape.
Back to the task in hand and we found the source of the seizure, number one piston is stuck in the bore. We gave it a few gentle taps but it remains stuck. So we’ll be soaking the bore for a while and we’ll get back to it in due course. The bores look good so it would appear that it’s most likely carbon and a lack of movement causing the issue.
Next task is to investigate the re-metalling.