Ford’s Flathead V8 is iconic in the hot rodding world because it was the first V8 that was affordable for the average Joe.
And for the time it was very innovative. We’re taking a deep dive into the Ford Flathead on this build by Keith Dorton of Automotive Specialists (https://www.automotivespecialists.com) who is putting together a period-correct Flathead with extra stroke and compression to bump up the horsepower.
PLEASE NOTE: In the video when the engine is on the dyno the valve ticking is pretty noticeable. In person in the dyno room you could barely hear it. I suspect this is an artifact of the shotgun mic I use on my camera.
It really seems to accentuate sharp sounds like that. Thank you. Some links that may help your build: Engine Builder — Automotive Specialists
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Contents of this video ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
- 0:00 – Introducing the Ford Flathead
- 2:59 – Scat Flathead Stroker Crankshaft
- 3:27 – Rope Seal
- 5:45 – Flathead Oiling Modifications
- 7:22 – Scat Rods/Mahle Pistons for Flatheads
- 10:23 – Isky Flathead Camshaft
- 15:07 – Isky Flathead lifters/valves/springs
- 18:48 – How to Set Flathead Valve Lash
- 20:29 – Cylinder Heads
- 21:42 – Repop Offenhouser Intake & Super 97 Carbs
- 22:19 – Dyno Testing