Upon starting the A today I was experiencing a bit of a Misfire, heard a tracking sound and found a plug arcing out on the advance & retard lever. The car has a Simmons head which means the plugs are in a non standard position. New one on me, maybe the weather? All cured by a little bit of insulation tape. I have a modern cap & leads to fit but I like the old style strips!
Here’s a video of a lot of the work I’ve done on the Model A, (with help, John, Simon, Mr H, Karen to name but a few!), in the past three years.
I’ll improve it as time goes on, but it’s an interesting record of progress.
Clarence Cleveland Curtiss, of Shelton, with his 1929 Ford Model A, which he bought in 1938.
Read on here
Doing a little bit of under hood/bonnet painting before the weather gets too cold to get outside. Not exactly concours but looks a bit better. Much more left to do, but as you can see we’ve come quite a way!
The front bumper on the Model A had been bent since I got the car so we decided to have a try and straightening the bar and see how it looks.
As you see after a bit of a wood issue the bumper is now pretty straight.
Once we got the wood situation sorted out we got the bumper back in pretty good shape,
There has been a recirculating grinding type noise coming from the Model A on hard left hand locks since we changed the brake back plates.
Simon and I set off on a road test to pinpoint the noise and Simon nailed it!
The noise was coming from the right hand rear wheel.
After removing the wheel and hub/drum assembly we found a couple of issues.
- The back plate and brake drum had been rubbing
- The brake shoes have a raised metal edge and this has been rubbing on the inside of the brake
The brake shoe issue was alleviated by grinding the metal edge off the brake shoes
Once this was achieved the drum was placed in the lathe and a small amount of material removed to ensure that the drum and back plate were no longer in contact.
A final road test confirmed that the diagnosis was correct and the treatment had been a success!
Here’s some photos of the work carried out
When my trunk/boot/rumble seat lid is open it leans on the spare wheel, which in turn is leading to some marking of the paint. It’s been an issue that has been hanging around for quite a while after being kindly pointed out to me by John Cochran who also provided the kit of brackets to remedy the issue.
When we started to investigate the fitting of the afore mentioned kit it was clear that all was not standard, (nothing new on this vehicle), and that a bar had been fitted across the rear of the compartment right where we would need to fit the brackets. The bar in fact worked to our advantage and we were able to secure the bump rubbers from the kit to achieve the same effect as fitting the brackets!
With Simon’s help I spent the day fitting the Mike’s Affordable Oil Filter Kit on the Model A.
When we removed the tappet cover we found a random pipe attached to the oil gallery routing oil it appears down to the timing gears.
The pipe was situated exactly where we needed to fit the oil filter feed pipe, after some interaction with Mr Cochran we decided to bite the bullet and remove it.
The feed pipe for the kit was put in its place, hopefully this was the right move, also posted on the Ford Barn for some feedback which was quite varied.
Time will tell I guess?
We also took the opportunity to sort out the exhaust manifold blow and the loose down pipe.
Things like not using the copper gaskets and gland rings were at the root of the manifold issue.
For the loose down pipe we fitted a new clamp and a sleeve to improve the joint between manifold and pipe.
Whilst things were in progress we also spruced the engine and inlet manifold with some paint.
After researching oil filters, I’m no longer using FRAM.
Read here to see why
When I first imported the Model A over three years ago I promised my Aunt Noreen a ride in the car and finally today I delivered on the promise 🙂
Had quite a good picture of the A taken on the way into the recent Berkshire Motor Show
Berkshire Motor Show 2017