There are still quite a few items to take care of on my Model A. Managed to take care of one of these today. The Pertronix electronic ignition hadn’t been very well fitted which resulted in the module that arrived with the car failing. One of the issues was that the conduit for the distributor wiring was missing. I managed to source one and fitted it today after putting it off for ages. It makes things look a neater and more authentic.
A Look Under the Hood
A look under the hood of my Model A as it undergoes preparation for its MOT
Pertronix Ignitor Module
My Model A has a Pertronix Ignitor ignition module fitted in place of the standard points
Triumph Herald Alternator Conversion (originally published in 2008)
So it begins, out with the old and in with the new(er)
Started with removing the dynamo (strangely enough:-))
Please note that the dynamo may foul the distributor.
Got around this by loosening it off and turning it away from the dynamo.
Be sure to mark the position of the dynamo before loosening so as not too put the timing too far out.
I put a small felt tip pen mark on an HT lead to line up with the LT lead of the distributor.
The dynamo was then removed.
Tried a few test fits of the altenator with the various parts of the existing dynamo bracket.
It would appear the best way to do this is to remove all the existing bolts etc (including the large one in the alternator and dynamo picture above) and replace them with two different size bolts and a large amount of washers to ensure all the pulleys line up.
The Herald fan belt will also now be too short, I’ll pick up an new one when I get the bolts.