Due to various reasons, it’s taken quite a while to get the oil pan reinstalled.
Sadly with victory in sight, I now have a bad oil leak on the left front side of the engine as you look at it 😦
So pretty disappointed, investigation will begin at the w/e.
Onwards and upwards!
Still working on the oil pan, and have been having a real issue getting it relocated.
It would appear that there has been a long standing issue with the front engine mounting, (and possibly others), that has caused the clearance between the front cross member and the oil pan to be considerably reduced.
As you can see a plate has been added under the front engine mount, which isn’t standard for sure!
Will be investigating the replacement of the front engine mounting prior to refitting the oil pan.
I have managed to bend the oil thrower on the front crank gear whilst trying to install the oil pan with a lack of clearance.
So not only do I need to sort the engine mounts, I also need to ensure that the oil thrower is as straight as I can get it without fouling.
My new parts for the oil pan job arrived today and I was stunned by the difference in quality between the oil pan gasket sets from the different suppliers.
Here is the latest arrival, if you look back a few posts and compare this with the Mac’s part you be able to see the difference. You’ll notice that this states strictly not to use any sealer!
My oil drain pipe has also arrived today, (Mac’s Part), so hopefully it’ll be OK, and there is enough thread in the main cap to lock it in place.
Just about to put the sump back on when I decided to double check the oil return pipe which I had found in the oil pan when we removed it.
The pipe has damaged threads, doesn’t look like an original and had a dab of solder helping to secure it. So I’ve ordered a new one which should be here tomorrow.
As you can see the engine is using a five bearing cam in a three bearing block (thanks to John Cochran for point this out)
Interesting difference between the Snyder’s & Mac’s oil pan gaskets, Snyder’s one has far more “cork”
Yes I think the pan was too green so I went for black, I think you’ll agree it looks a darn sight better? 🙂
Got the oil pump cleaned, the pan painted and the gasket & seals in place, but ran into some issues with the plastic snap ups. Will try again with some metal locating studs, watch this space.
Thanks to Mrs F for the delicate trimming of seals 🙂
The weather allowed some more oil pan work today:
- Wire brushed the loose paint and rust
- POR-15 Surface Prep was applied
- Wash & dry
- Apply first coat Ford Engine Green VHT paint
- Too green!!
- Rethink? 🙂
Whilst I was cleaning up the oil pan I noticed a nasty little dent in the bottom. No sign that it’s been leaking, so I think I’ll take a chance on it.
Famous last words! 🙂
Little dent in oil pan
Little dent in oil pan
Just for a change the wind and rain subsided for the evening, so the oil pan and associated parts got cleaned. Went old school and used paraffin which took me back to the old days somewhat 🙂
With some good weather over the Easter weekend I can hopefully give everything a final clean, paint and refit.
Still working on the oil pan, got the oil gallery slotted plug out of the block without too much drama and inserted the oil pump retainer tool ready for re installation of the oil pan. Bought some paraffin today to do a final clean on all the components, before weather permitting painting the pan tomorrow.
I’ve had a good read and check on the forums about how to remove the oil pan baffle on the Model A. This is the method I chose, maybe not the best, but it worked OK for me 🙂
As you can see there was plenty of sludge under the baffle!
I used a combination of 3-1 Heavy Duty Cleaner Degreaser ,soap and water and a pressure cleaner. Might give it a final wash with paraffin to finish it off. Also removed the old rope and cork seals and scraped the old gasket material from the oil pan & block surfaces.