Category: fan belt

Belt Up!!

Advertisements

 

My new fan belt arrived on Saturday morning but the weather was bit a rubbish, so I began work on the Alternator today. After finding more bad workmanship around the pulley alignment I eventually got everything in place, but to my disappointment I found that the standard Model A fan belt is a few inches too long meaning that it will rub the radiator hose. So the search for a belt goes on….

Alternator Update

Advertisements

As mentioned in my previous Alternator post I called Nu Rex in the States and they were very friendly and helpful.

They advised that I’d have to split the Alternator to be able to tighten the belt pulley which in turn locks the fan pulley in place. It’s apparently very rare for one of the pulleys to come loose. I’m wondering if the clearly incorrect fan belt was part of the issue?

Nu Rex advised that the centre of the belt pulley should not be shiny if the belt is the correct item or not worn out,  as you can see we were wide of the mark on both counts!

I was also advised that the standard Model A Fan Belt is the correct item, and also to re black the pulley with a marker, which once it becomes shiny again will indicate belt change time.

Popped up to Simon’s and both he and his Dad gave me a hand to tighten the pulley and also lent me a piece of welding rod to lock the brushes in place to allow reassembly of the unit.

Correct fan belt was ordered and has been delivered from the ever reliable O’Neill’s Vintage Ford

Weather permitting I can get the unit refitted tomorrow

I’d like to get back mobile as there is a car rally/breakfast event at the nearby Wellington Country Park Farm Shop on the 11th September.

 

Triumph Herald Alternator Conversion Progress(2) (originally published in 2008)

Advertisements

Alternator now in place with home made fan belt adjusting arm extension. not pretty but it works.

I also need to find a slightly longer fan belt, no luck as yet however.


All well after a test start and run without the wiring connected.

The wiring was interesting to say the least!

Most of the instructions and wiring colours on the net and various other sources do not apply to our car.

The brown and various brown variants were all to be found at the regulator box as expected.

Additionally our car had a thick yellow and a thin yellow and green coming from the alternator.

The thick yellow is to be joined to all the browns as per the usual instructions, the thin yellow and green is to be joined to the thin yellow at the regulator for the warning light.

A lot of instructions suggest either soldering the various wires or adapting the regulator as a junction box.(all good ideas BTW)

I have taken a different approach, I got an earth bar from Screwfix and joined all the wires up that way.

Something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11385/Electrical-Supplies/Earthing/8-Way-Earth-Block

This will then be insulated by placing in a project box from Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1677

This will then be mounted in the space where the regulator used to live 🙂

WARNING !!!

If you want to try this be very careful that the earth bar does not earth out at any point.

If it does you will be needing a fire extinguisher on the non fused Herald, be very careful!

I’m also considering the fitting of some inline fuses or maybe a small fuse box.

Triumph Herald Alternator Conversion Progress (originally published in 2008)

Advertisements

Right, on we go!!

Now have the bolts, spacer and washers and have managed to (bodge) fit the alternator into place.

Not the most asthetic piece of engineering I’m afraid, however the Spitfire alternator brackets or quite hard to source and as a result quite expensive!

Everything is nice and tight and the belt run is pretty straight

Could probably do with a slightly longer belt I think, had a look in Halford’s today and the only ones available were either the same length or the 1500mm (a bit too long). I’ll go with the original for the time being.

I now need to fashion a little piece of aluminum or steel into an extension for the fan belt adjusting bracket, and then I will then complete the wiring.

Watch this space!!

Triumph Herald Alternator Conversion (originally published in 2008)

Advertisements


So it begins, out with the old and in with the new(er)

Started with removing the dynamo (strangely enough:-))

Please note that the dynamo may foul the distributor.

Got around this by loosening it off and turning it away from the dynamo.

Be sure to mark the position of the dynamo before loosening so as not too put the timing too far out.

I put a small felt tip pen mark on an HT lead to line up with the LT lead of the distributor.

The dynamo was then removed.

Tried a few test fits of the altenator with the various parts of the existing dynamo bracket.

It would appear the best way to do this is to remove all the existing bolts etc (including the large one in the alternator and dynamo picture above) and replace them with two different size bolts and a large amount of washers to ensure all the pulleys line up.

The Herald fan belt will also now be too short, I’ll pick up an new one when I get the bolts.