Category: Modern Points

D&B Quick Point Gap Setter for Model A Ford

Advertisements

The “Quick Point Gap Setter” tool is a very simple way to solve an awkward challenge.

Some may say it’s a lazy way out, but for me it makes the operation so simple it’s a no brainer particulary when out on the road.

Instructions 

First remove the distributor cap, rotor and the distributor body to gain access to the breaker points. Always
inspect the contacts to see that the surfaces are not burnt or pitted. If replacement of the point arm is required,
refer to Les Andrews’ “Mechanics Handbook” to replace the original style point sets. The newer “Modern”*
point sets are replaceable without removing the distributor cam and upper plate. Once the new arm is in place
and the cam is reattached, set the points using this tool.
1. Loosen the clamp screw on the top of the fixed point block (on original style points), on modern points
loosen point mounting screws.
2. Remove the rubber stopper from the tool and set it aside.
3. Manually open the points sufficiently to slide the Cylinder (the Shell) of the tool over the cam so that the
sleeve covers the cam lobes.
4. Release the move-able point arm so that the rubbing block of the move-able point arm rests on the
outside of the sleeve.
5. Use the thickness gauge that projects from the rubber stopper to gauge the gap between the fixed
contact and the move-able contact.
6. Once you have achieved this setting, tighten the clamp sleeve on the fixed contact (original style), or
modern points tighten the mounting screws, and remove the cylinder from the cam.
7. Place the stop

Back to the Future (well kinda :)) Part 2

Advertisements

If you’ve not read part 1 please take a look here

After rewiring and getting everything put back together, the car started first time and ran beautifully, in fact the best since I’ve had it!

One thing I learned during the process was to make use of some of the tools that are available.

These two tools were really helpful

GZNTATOOL Timing Tool

Back to the Future (well kinda :)) Part 1

Advertisements

After the breakdown on the way to Wheels Day 2017 and some diagnosis the Pertronix module was the culprit (well the symptom anyway :))

This is the second module failure, so it’s back to points which as least can be fixed on the road. I’ve gone for the “modern points” setup by Nu-Rex, “modern” is pretty amusing as the new plate contains the 1957 onward Ford V8 points as opposed to the original 1929 setup.

Before I began I set the timing to TDC via the timing pin as per usual on the Model A I then started to remove the Pertronix system

During removal I found that the lower distributor plate had been deleted, a bit annoying as I’d ordered the upper plate from O’Neills. Luckily John Cochran had a used item I could use (thanks John :))

I’d also ordered the recommended longer pigtail for the lower plate, this is recommended to alleviate the stress on the original which is a little short and often fails due to fatigue. So after desoldering and drilling the old pigtail was removed. Then it was a matter of a little cleaning and soldering to get the new item fitted. As my car has no pop out ignition switch I further modified the plate to securely fix the hot cable to the plate by drilling the dimple which was designed to contact the original pop out switch.

2 / 6

Once all the modifications were completed I installed the plate into the distributor.

Lower plate installed

The pigtail was connected to the points contact ensuring that the connector was not able to accidentally ground to the distributor housing.

Also checked that the timing advance lever was in the fully retarded setting at this point

Next the upper plate was installed taking care to wrap the pigtail around the cam spring whilst making sure not to pinch the cable.

The upper plate will only install one way into the tabs and groove and should turn freely.

Nu-Rex Modern Points Upper Plate Installed

See the next episode for rewiring, points adjustment, timing and hopefully an engine start.