After far too long, I finally decided I was far along enough in the engine compartment that I should put the hood and fenders back on. I still have a few fine adjustments on the engine before I am ready to fire it up for the first time, but the clock is ticking for summer cruising.
Seriously? It’s April 4! This is not roadster weather! Actually, I don’t mind, because I’m not finished up yet anyway. We have driven the car a couple of times, it has 20 miles on the odometer, enough to find a couple of little bugs that I’ve taken care of (the shifter selector shaft seal, and a radiator hose that wasn’t quite tight enough, which I fixed, but now the gas gauge isn’t working), and I still need to get the canvas on the top made and get it licensed, but, there’s light at the end of the tunnel.
I had “Fly’n Brian” painted on the tail pan at “Motorama” at Cobo Hall, in a tribute to the cars original name, “Flying Flathead”, where we debut the car. I’m very happy with that, although the casual observer won’t know the story. I also got the set of steel ’49 Chevy…
This is my most detailed model yet. All accessories including spark plugs were modeled. Over 200 hours print time for all parts. Almost two full rolls of filament.
All my models are printed on a Prusa i3 kit. You can find the one I use by clicking the link below. You can get 15% off by using code “GBTE” Tronxy Prusa I3
You will need to print on an 8×10″ glass bed and change the “X” travel distance settings in the firmware to print the block.
Complete hardware kits are available. I partnered with MakerRX. Head over to their page to purchase my kit and get 10% off HatchBox/ColorFabb Filament which is some of the best filament that you can get for the price. https://www.makerrx.com/products/mrx5
Took the Model B gearbox over to my friend John to give it a look over, not surprisingly we found very little wrong with the exception of some damaged threads where the gearbox top mounts
The Model B into Model A conversion is rarely done and is quite complex meaning quite a bit of research and parts gathering will be required. John has kindly started to gather some of the parts as you can see below.
An adaptor plate to secure the Model B gearbox to the Model A engine, tailshaft/torque tube adaptor and sheet metal to modify the Model A sump have already been sourced by John. A number of other challenges such as mounting the handbrake, swapping the release arm to LHD, pedal box and radius arm modifications and Flywheel machining just to name a few! A gear lever for the Model B gearbox is on the way.
The popularity of barn finds and survivor hot rods has created a whole new segment of the hot rod hobby. Cars with history are much more interesting than something built in the modern era, but we had to convince Charles Berry that his ’34 Plymouth, his high school hot rod, was a really special piece
Cleaned out the river holes with a drill and bolted the new coil onto the frame using the bolts provided. Once the unit was complete it was bolted back on the truck. After a good road test all seems well, so let’s wait and see 🙂