Still lot’s of little jobs to do on the Model A, the other day a couple of things got done.
Left hand door had a top cap screw and D Nut missing which meant the door capping lifted at one end.
New D nut and screw and job done, tad rusty at the top of the door but so would you be if you were 89 years old!
Next were the hood bumpers and catch rubbers
After a long period of prevarication and with some help I finally got around to getting the cowl windlacing sorted out, it’s one of the jobs that you always mean to get done but never do!
As you can see the old stuff was either missing or in bad shape
Removed the old windlacing and cleaned the edge of the cowl, including the removal of the wire tightening hook in the centre.
After cutting the lacing into four correctly sized pieces, the top part of the lacing is secured by passing a wire through the centre and securing it at the bottom of the cowl on both sides. The wire is tensioned by the hook in the centre of the cowl. Along with the new lacing and wire, the hook was also replaced. Once the top part is in place the side lacing is prepared for fitting by creating the holes for the securing rivets. We used a bradawl and a drill bit. The rivets were then crimped with pliers. Once all was in place the hood was refitted.
Here’s a video of a lot of the work I’ve done on the Model A, (with help, John, Simon, Mr H, Karen to name but a few!), in the past three years.
I’ll improve it as time goes on, but it’s an interesting record of progress.
After painting under the bonnet/hood I took a look at the underside.
I must admit I’ve been putting this task off because it’s not the most pleasant.
I’ve added a few old pictures from a few years back to show the difference!
Looks a bit better now, but will need a few more coats as it’s sucking up the paint.
The old set of 39 – 42 backplates removed from the Model A this week!
Click here to see listing
Managed to sell the old brake set up to a very nice man from Oxford, they will live on as part of his A pickup project !
The A is in bed after a very busy week, thought we’d take a look at cleaning the Firestone Whitewalls with “Mr Clean Magic Eraser” after a tip on the Ford Barn, and it works!
As you can see by the pictures, the king pin bushes that came out were shimmed with some slivers of brass, not the best idea!
The A is off to my friend Simon’s for his help in getting the “big stuff” done. Simon and his Dad have the room, facilities and expertise to help get the car over the line for some summer driving.
My friend John kindly helped with the trailering of the A up to Simon’s workshop.