Tag: Oil Pan

1929 Model A Ford Oil Change and Analysis

1929 Model A Ford Oil Change and Analysis

Advertisements

Time to change the oil on the Sport Coupe

Air jack saving time and effort once again, you can see them here at Vevor

Was using a Mann filter on the Mike’s oil filter kit, article here on fitting the kit

Moved to the Bosch filter purely on a cost basis, these filters are a version of the Ford EFL90 used on the Pinto engine

Once the oil change was completed decided to inspect the oil and filter as the babbitt engine, (if the original), is over 90 years old and not the quietest!

Starting with a magnetic search in the drain bowl which came up all clear, followed this with the microwave test. This involves taking a small sample of oil in a container and running the microwave to see if any sparks result from metal present in the oil. Again all seems to be clear.

Next operation was to split the oil filter canister, didn’t make the best job of this part and introduced a little bit of metal and paint around the top edge. Wasn’t terribly worried as the folds are where the interest lies and this isn’t exactly scientific.

Once apart and fanned out found it to be pretty much clear with the exception of the expected small amount of sludge. SAE40 is the lubricant used and is a non detergent. The oil pan and pump were desludged not long after purchase. Past oil pan adventures can be found here. To help matters the oil filter kit and regular oil changes have been instrumental in keeping things clean.

So to sum up, perhaps a few more years left in the current lump (touch wood!)

Oil Pan is Installed But…..

Advertisements

Due to various reasons, it’s taken quite a while to get the oil pan reinstalled.

Sadly with victory in sight, I now have a bad oil leak on the left front side of the engine as you look at it 🙁

So pretty disappointed, investigation will begin at the w/e.

Onwards and upwards!

Oil Pan Saga Continues

Advertisements

Still working on the oil pan, and have been having a real issue getting it relocated.

It would appear that there has been a long standing issue with the front engine mounting, (and possibly others), that has caused the clearance between the front cross member and the oil pan to be considerably reduced.

As you can see a plate has been added under the front engine mount, which isn’t standard for sure!

Will be investigating the replacement of the front engine mounting prior to refitting the oil pan.

I have managed to bend the oil thrower on the front crank gear whilst trying to install the oil pan with a lack of clearance.

So not only do I need to sort the engine mounts, I also need to ensure that the oil thrower is as straight as I can get it without fouling.

 

And another thing…

Advertisements

Just about to put the sump back on when I decided to double check the oil return pipe which I had found in the oil pan when we removed it.

The pipe has damaged threads, doesn’t look like an original and had a dab of solder helping to secure it. So I’ve ordered a new one which should be here tomorrow.

As you can see the engine is using a five bearing cam in a three bearing block (thanks to John Cochran for point this out)

Interesting difference between the Snyder’s & Mac’s oil pan gaskets, Snyder’s one has far more “cork”

More Oil Pan Activity (Yes it was too green!)

Advertisements

Yes I think the pan was too green so I went for black, I think you’ll agree it looks a darn sight better? 🙂

Got the oil pump cleaned, the pan painted and the gasket & seals in place, but ran into some issues with the plastic snap ups. Will try again with some metal locating studs, watch this space.

Thanks to Mrs F for the delicate trimming of seals 🙂

 

 

Break in the Weather

Advertisements

Just for a change the wind and rain subsided for the evening, so the oil pan and associated parts got cleaned. Went old school and used paraffin which took me back to the old days somewhat 🙂

With some good weather over the Easter weekend I can hopefully give everything a final clean, paint and refit.

 

Oil Pan Update

Advertisements

Still working on the oil pan, got the oil gallery slotted plug out of the block without too much drama and inserted the oil pump retainer tool ready for re installation  of the oil pan. Bought some paraffin today to do a final clean on all the components, before weather permitting painting the pan tomorrow.