Model A Ford Clutch Pedal Modification For Dropped Foot

As I’m 6’4″ tall and have a dropped foot, (no ankle pivot at all), driving the Model A can be a bit of a challenge.

We came up with this modification a while back and event though it’s a bit basic in it’s construction it has made driving the A a lot easier.

It consists of a block of wood and a door hinge, which has the dual functionality of a lever and a footrest.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Fitting the Mike’s Affordable Oil Filter Oil Kit to the 1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe

With Simon’s help I spent the day fitting the Mike’s Affordable Oil Filter Kit on the Model A.

When we removed the tappet cover we found a random pipe attached to the oil gallery routing oil it appears down to the timing gears.

The pipe was situated exactly where we needed to fit the oil filter feed pipe, after some interaction with Mr Cochran we decided to bite the bullet and remove it.

The feed pipe for the kit was put in its place, hopefully this was the right move, also posted on the Ford Barn for some feedback which was quite varied.

Time will tell I guess?

We also took the opportunity to sort out the exhaust manifold blow and the loose down pipe.

Things like not using the copper gaskets and gland rings were at the root of the manifold issue.

For the loose down pipe we fitted a new clamp and a sleeve to improve the joint between manifold and pipe.

Whilst things were in progress we also spruced the engine and inlet manifold with some paint.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

More Updates to my 1929 Model A Sport Coupe

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Had a few days off work and with Simon’s help caught up with a number of tasks on the A :

New Rear Spring

Tube Rear Shock Absorbers

Repair Offside Rear Wheel Arch

Repair Seat Back Brackets

Fix Slight Steering/Front Shock Absorber Issue

In fact we did every I’d planned and in two days!

Special thanks to John Cochran as we couldn’t have done the job without the use of his spring spreader 🙂

The Front End!

Now the A is at Simon’s we began by removing the front axle to facilitate the replacement of :

  • Front Spring
  • King Pins
  • Front Brakes & Backing Plates (From 37 -41 to 46-48)
  • Re-engineer front hydraulic brakes (terrible job before I bought the car :))

Those of you that have seen previous posts will know that the front king pins have been somewhat modified in a bad way to say the least! Once we got the spindles off it was even worse than we thought. The king pin bushes had been shimmed to take up excess wear in the spindles. So Simon’s Dad fabricated some custom king pin bushes from scratch as the ones in the kit just dropped through the king pin locating holes! Simon fitted the bushes and modified to allow greasing of the bushes moving forward

The two galleries give a small idea of the amount of work involved.

Whilst we were about it we decided to make things look nice by cleaning and painting as many components as possible 🙂

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Getting the parts together for the trip to Simon’s (with a helper)

Getting all the parts sorted for the big push at Simon’s.

Parts mostly from Bert’s Model A and from Miles at Jackhammer

My furry friend was a great help 🙂

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Let the work begin

The A is off to my friend Simon’s for his help in getting the “big stuff” done. Simon and his Dad have the room, facilities and expertise to help get the car over the line for some summer driving.

My friend John kindly helped with the trailering of the A up to Simon’s workshop.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.