Tag: Simon’s Auto’s

Fitting the Mike’s Affordable Oil Filter Kit to the 1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe

Advertisements

With Simon’s help I spent the day fitting the Mike’s Affordable Oil Filter Kit on the Model A.

When we removed the tappet cover we found a random pipe attached to the oil gallery routing oil it appears down to the timing gears.

The pipe was situated exactly where we needed to fit the oil filter feed pipe, after some interaction with Mr Cochran we decided to bite the bullet and remove it.

The feed pipe for the kit was put in its place, hopefully this was the right move, also posted on the Ford Barn for some feedback which was quite varied.

Time will tell I guess?

We also took the opportunity to sort out the exhaust manifold blow and the loose down pipe.

Things like not using the copper gaskets and gland rings were at the root of the manifold issue.

For the loose down pipe we fitted a new clamp and a sleeve to improve the joint between manifold and pipe.

Whilst things were in progress we also spruced the engine and inlet manifold with some paint.

After researching oil filters, I’m  no longer using FRAM.

Read here to see why

More Updates to my 1929 Model A Sport Coupe

Advertisements

 

Had a few days off work and with Simon’s help caught up with a number of tasks on the A :

New Rear Spring

Tube Rear Shock Absorbers

Repair Offside Rear Wheel Arch

Repair Seat Back Brackets

Fix Slight Steering/Front Shock Absorber Issue

In fact we did every I’d planned and in two days!

Special thanks to John Cochran as we couldn’t have done the job without the use of his spring spreader 🙂

Update on my 1929 Model A Sport Coupe

Advertisements

Took a couple of days off work and with a huge amount of help from my friend Simon of Simon’s Autos and despite the shocking efforts of Parcelforce and HM Customs (parts held for over 3 weeks despite taking 2 days to get to the UK from Bert’s Model A Center in Colorado) we achieved  quite a bit :

Lunch 🙂

Lunch with Simon and the Model A Ford

Parcel Woes

 

Front Tube Shock Absorber Conversion

Fitted the bracket kit from Bert’s and the Gabriel shocks sourced from US Automotive here in the UK. Pretty much a bolt on apart from drilling the front axle in two places. I have a new rear spring and tube shock absorber brackets for the rear to do in the summer.

Rear Brake Grease Boxes

Those of you that read the blog will know that the car had hydraulic brakes when I purchased it, the conversion was quite badly done in parts so it was upgraded to 1948 parts. I was short of a couple of grease boxes for the rears which I got from the States via eBay for a reasonable price. These were nicely fitted by Simon

Engine Oil Leak

After I changed the sump gasket in the process of cleaning out the years of sludge, I ended up with quite a bad oil leak near the timing gear inspection cover using a combination of gaskets and black RTV. Fingers crossed as it’s OK so far.

Clutch Pedal Modification

Due to my height, (6’4″), and the fact that I have a dropped foot it’s difficult to drive a standard Model Coupe. We came up with a few modifications to help me drive, these are working out quite well so far, still have a bit more to do as the clutch is dragging when hot despite slowing the idle as much as possible making the selection of 1st gear difficult. But it’s a great improvement. I think we’ll still need to design a new thinner seat back to give me a few more inches of room. The modification is done with wood so far to see how it goes. Makes life a easier for me!

Air Filter

John Cochran kindly pointed out that my “A”  has a “B” carburettor, so I treated it to a K&N filter which I think looks OK, car’s not original anyway so 🙂

Transmission & Rear End Oil Change

Thanks to Simon’s space heater and heavy duty pump we managed to get the Morris Lubricants SAE 250 Golden Film gear oil into the gearbox and axle, no mean feat as this is some seriously thick stuff, I can only imagine how thick the 600W spec oil from back in the day actually is!!