Henry Ford Random Patents #6 US 1850006 A Brake

Henry Ford Random Patents #6
Brake US 1850006 A

 

Henry published patent US 1850006 A in March 1932

The patent detailed a new improved braking system

It appears he was still sticking doggedly to the mechanical operation of brakes at this time.

You can see the full details here

The Final Piece!

As you may know the car came with a very poor quality hydraulic brake conversion, to rectify this I gathered the parts to convert the system to the superior 46-48 single adjuster system. I was however missing two grease boxes for the rear. Luckily I’ve managed to track down a pair on eBay from a nice gentleman called Al for a very reasonable cost. Hopefully these will be winging across the pond shortly!

Ford Hydraulic Brake Grease Boxes

 

Rear Brakes and Handbrake

Those who know my A will know that it had a pretty bad hydraulic brake conversion.

I’ve been gathering parts to rectify the mess for quite a while, whilst the car is at Simon’s it’s an ideal opportunity to get things sorted:

  • Swap rear backing plates for the single adjuster 46-48 units
  • Remove all hydraulic brake pipes, rework and replace as required
  • Fit Cling Automotive custom handbrake cable set up

As always Simon did a great job on everything with a small bit of help from yours truly!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Building The Front Brakes

Nice evening so I thought I’d test build the front brakes before fitting in July. No wheel cylinders as I’m hoping to use the relatively new ones that are on the existing back plates. It was a useful exercise and gave me some assurance that I’ve got all the bits to fit them in anger. The shoes are the nice Bob Drake type from Miles at Jack hammer. One downside was that when I took the shoes out of the box there was a dent in a couple of the shoes. Not the end of the world, but a little miffed all the same. Now waiting for Miles to get his next order from Bob Drake so I can build up the rears at least a little.  Won’t be able to do too much as I need to reuse the existing handbrake levers.  

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Back to the backing plates

Whilst I’ve gone as far as I can on the oil pan until the next parts delivery I thought I’d do a little bit of work on the excellent set of backing plates I purchased from the States. The adjusters were a little rusted and stuck so a little freeing up was in order.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Spring is around the corner

The weather is getting more spring like by the day which means those of us with limited workshop space can start working on our jalopies. I’ve spun the coupe around so that I can remove and clean the sump out. Also I can hopefully get the front axle removed and get the kingpins, brakes, dog bones  and all the other front stuff whilst leaving the car in place. But as you can see, space is a bit tight 🙂



Update on Brakes !!

Good news on sorting my braking issues!

The hydraulic brake conversion done previously is a bit of a mess as you will have seen from previous posts. The backing plates had not been reworked for the Model A and are quite corroded. Via an advert in the Ford Barn I’ve managed to track down an unmolested full set of 42 -48 backing plates. These are far more preferable due to the simplified brake adjustment. The combined centre and heel adjustment of the earlier system is a real pain to adjust.

Just need them to arrive from across the pond and we can get cracking, in the meantime I’ll need to track down someone to reline my existing shoes as the rears are badly worn.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Brake Issues Mounting Up!!

I’ve got the following issues with the right hand rear brake

  • Shoes down to the rivets
  • Hold down broken
  • Handbrake cable pipe rusted
  • Adjusters seized and rusted
  • Bleed nipples missing from wheel cylinders due to backplates too near to suspension

Expecting more grief from the rest of the “upgrades” to the braking system 😦

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.